Saturday, May 8, 2010

Module 7 Reflection

During this module I was suppose to use two more learning strategies that I have not in the past but that may help me in the future. The first strategy was survey and the second was fishbowl.In survey you basically want to either in written form or verbally ask questions of others to gain more insight on a topic.



For survey I actually used it but more in a verbal form. I used the idea of surveys in our teaching demos. Before starting we chose to ask questions of the others in the room to see what they thought was and such. By having many share what they thought more ideas were put on the table which in return helped understand what we were teaching on more. I like the idea of using this learning strategy but at the same time I think that I would lean more to using it in a verbal way. If it was a paper survey it would take longer, and the results would have to be collected and it may be harder to get others to participate. I like the idea of using it in the classroom though because even though one student may understand by what I am saying doesn't mean all of them will. By having a survey method of different people in class it gives the opportunity for everyone to understand. I just think to use them better to continue to use them and not shy away. Sometimes I think that a teacher is suppose to teach everything but that is not the truth. The students have valuable knowledge that will help others and using surveys could help.

The second strategy I used was fishbowl. Fishbowl is where others share ideas and talk but while they are talking others are there to listen and not say anything. I used this in a couple of my classes. One of them was my biology class. Our group or the "fishbowl" was giving information on a product that we created. Others that were in the audience just had to listen to the ideas and explanations but not have a response. Eventually we got to present things and then others got to respond at their own will. I REALLY like this strategy. I like the idea of having a group of "experts" that present information and that others have to listen without interrupting. I really think that I will be using this in my own classroom just because I think it is very beneficial. Next time to make it better it might be easier to have smaller groups. When there is so many asking the "fishbowl" it can get a little overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment